The survey design consists of a cohort study of young people in Central Catalonia. The study population comprises all students from the 2nd and 4th course of secondary education, 2nd course of College-preparatory and 2nd course of vocational training during the academic year 2019-2020, and all teenagers who will be studying these grades every two years during six years, establishing several survey waves. This study consists of a biannual survey panel. The questionnaire will be carried out in 91 academic centres of Central Catalonia. Central Catalonia is divided into six regions (Anoia, Osona, Bages, Berguedà, Solsonès and Moianès), where there are 165 districts. In this territory, there are 89 Secondary education schools and two academic centres where post-compulsory education is taught exclusively (College-preparatory and vocational training).
The questionnaire used focuses in some health aspects and its related factors: sociodemographic data; health and overall well-being; rest and mood state; eating habits; physical activity and leisure time; new technologies use; use of tobacco, cannabis, alcohol and other drugs; relationships with others and sexuality. The questionnaire was designed based on other similar surveys which allow comparability of the results obtained:
- Survey of health-related habits among 4th ESO students from Diputació de Barcelona
- Risk Factors in Secondary school in Catalonia Survey (FRESC) of the Public Health Agency
- Survey of the Study on the prevalence of Chlamydia Trachomatis Infection and other STIs in adults-young people aged from 16 to 35 from CEEISCAT
- SIVES survey (Integrated Epidemiological Surveillance System for AIDS/HIV/STI in Catalonia)
- Youth Europe Questionnaire
- Survey on drug use in Secondary education in Spain (ESTUDES)
The DESKcohort questionnaire is a computerized and self-administered survey. It is answered using tablets with internet connection in school’s classrooms. It lasts about 40 minutes and is administered by external staff.