The survey design consists of a cohort study of young people in Central Catalonia. The study population comprises all students from the 2nd and 4th course of secondary education, 2nd course of College-preparatory and 2nd course of vocational training during the academic year 2019-2020, and all teenagers who will be studying these grades every two years during six years, establishing several survey waves. This study consists of a biannual survey panel. The questionnaire will be carried out in 91 academic centres of Central Catalonia. Central Catalonia has 165 municipalities, including the counties of Anoia, Osona, Bages, Berguedà, Solsonès and Moianès. In this territory, there are 89 Secondary education schools and 2 academic centres where post-compulsory education is taught exclusively (College-preparatory and vocational training).
The questionnaire used focuses in some health aspects and its related factors: sociodemographic data; health and overall well-being; rest and mood state; eating habits; physical activity and leisure time; new technologies use; use of tobacco, cannabis, alcohol and other drugs; relationships with others and sexuality. The questionnaire was designed based on other similar surveys which allow comparability of the results obtained:
- Survey of health-related habits of 4th year ESO students (ESCA) of the Diputació de Barcelona.
- Survey of Risk Factors in the Secondary School of Catalonia (FRESC) of the Public Health Agency (Agència de Salut Pública).
- Survey on Drug Use in Secondary Education in Spain (ESTUDES).
- Survey of prevalence of Chlamydia Trachomatis infection and other STIs in young adults (16-35 years) of the CEEISCAT.
- SIVES Survey (Integrated Epidemiological Surveillance System of AIDS/HIV/STI in Catalonia).
- Youth Europe Questionnaire.
- Questionnaire to identify alcohol risk consumption (AUDIT-C).
- Questionnaire to identify cannabis risk use (CAST).
- Compulsive Internet Use Scale (CIUS).
- Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Well-being Scale (WEMWBS).
The DESKcohort questionnaire is a computerized and self-administered survey. It is answered using tablets with internet connection in school’s classrooms. It lasts about 40 minutes and is administered by external staff.
Survey dimensions and variables
The procedure for the creation of the survey, the creation and description of the variables included in the 1st wave questionnaire and the methodology used in its administration are detailed in the document available here and in the section “1st wave 2019/20”.